Monday, October 10, 2011

Farmer's Market Inspired ~ Tu-Tu's Juicy Chicken Sandwich Delight Recipe

The title certainly doesn't scream adventure but there was some slight adventure..read on ;~). I decided to explore Queens. My exploration came about because I decided to get back to the basics. The basics is none other than MYSELF. I lived in Queens for over a year now. There were places I haven't discovered that are literally 5 minutes away from where I reside. I can use the word discover if I want to..Columbus used the word. OK I don't want to get side tracked that's the reason I had to get back to the basics in the first place.

I read a lot of articles about NYC and Queens and came across Grow NYC. It provides access to healthy, fresh, local food. Under Grow NYC is Greenmarket Farmers Markets. It provides small family farms the opportunity to sell their locally grown products directly to consumers. I searched for the nearest farmers market. It was on 103rd and Roosevelt Avenue in Corona, Queens. Its only open on Fridays until November 18th between 8AM & 5PM.

I ventured off last Friday to see if the prices were right at my nearby farmers market. The price was right. I didn't stock up on items because it's just me and the products would probably spoil. I thought it was going to be bigger than it was but it was small and intimate. There was a cooking demonstration, nutritional facts handed out and recipes.

I strolled along the side walk to see what all of the hype was about. There were vegetables and fruits that I never tried in my life. I compared prices from one stand to the next. I finally ended up with red peppers, red onions and fresh cilantro. I guess everything I purchased was fresh but that was the first time I picked up fresh cilantro. It was only $1.00!! I was very satisfied with my inexpensive vegetable purchase.

I picked up some groceries from a cheap supermarket nearby and couldn't wait to create a new recipe. Well I'm sure someone cooked this before me but I just want to highlight that I did this with no recipe by my side. The sandwich I cooked was absolutely delicious!! I'm not writing that because I cooked the sandwich. It really was excellent. It was bursting with so many flavors. Please see the recipe below. Check back to see more of my crazy adventures.

Tu-Tu's Juicy Chicken Sandwich Delight
Ingredients:
• 2 Chicken Breast (cut to make 4 pieces)
• Bread
• 1 Red Pepper (sliced)
• 1/2  Red Onion
• 4 Strips of Bacon
• Vegetable Oil
• Pan Spay
• 2 Teaspoon butter
• Fresh Cilantro
• Baby Spinach
• Mozzarella Cheese
• Sazon Seasoning
• Salt
• Pepper
• 1/2 Teaspoons Balsamic Vinegarette

Heat oven to 350. Heat pan and add vegetable oil, pan spray & butter. Place sliced red peppers into oven. Season one side of chicken breast with salt, pepper, sazon and a sprinkle of oregano. Place seasoned side in the heated pan. Let it stay for five minutes without touching, season the other size and cover the pan. Flip peppers over in pan. Flip chicken and uncover. Cut up red onions. Cook bacon stripes in microwave. Rinse a few leaves of spinach and cilantro. Move chicken to one side of pan and place onions, peppers and bacon in pan. Heat cilantro in pan and cut some fresh mozarella cheese. Place cheese on chicken and melt. Prepare bread (your choice). Place pepper, then bacon, then spinach, then chicken with cheese, then onions, cilantro and drizzle balsamic vinegarette for added flavor. Enjoy!!


















No comments:

Post a Comment